Thursday, March 29, 2012

What's in Your Deep Freezer?

These past few months, I have been trying to keep my food bills under bay.  I've been working on ways to save while also eating healthy and in season.  It has been a great challenge.  However, the last week of a month is always the most challenging. This week, I am not going into the grocery store.  Rather I'm working with what I already have.  Thank goodness for my deep freezer!

Last night, I was rummaging through the cupboard and the nursery rhyme about Old Mother Hubbard came to mind.  It was kinda funny! Fortunately, I still have a few summer, fall, and winter goodies in our deep freezer and we ended up with a pretty decent meal!

For dinner, we had a mystery soup (unlabeled) from a soup swap I participated in, final round of our asparagus, sauteed spinach, and some frozen delicious peaches with whipped cream.  The peaches came from our deep freezer and is always a treat to bring out from late summer.  We have a few left
to tide us over until they are in season again.


So if you are on a food budget, what do you do at the end of the month when it's gone?  Do you have any go-to meals you seem to make at that time?  

Our seasonal produce from last summer and fall is starting to dwindle.  Here's what's left:


On the left are some frozen meals and some frozen chicken stock.  The next tray is our fruit basket and pumpkin and peaches are the only seasonal produce in there.  Our meat selection is stocked better, since we don't consume a lot of meat.  There is more meat underneath these baskets along with frozen bread I buy in bulk.  Then our lonely green pepper bag is in our veggie tray-alas!  I'm very much looking forward to some spring veggies to stock.

What's still left in your deep freezer?

Peace,

Jen Starks, Owner
www.ecologicalbabies.com 
ecologicalbabies@gmail.com
574.275.1235

No comments: