Friday, March 9, 2012

Perks of Homemade Green Cleaners!


Making my own homemade solution reminds me of some of the major reasons we chose cloth diapers.

1.  Health Benefits (for baby AND mama)

One of my favorite parts of using my own cleaning solution is that I'm comfortable having my kids use them to "help" clean with me.  I don't have to worry if they spray it accidentally in their eyes.  I don't have to hide it in a top cupboard or locked cabinet.  I don't have to do it while they are sleep, so they won't come in and inhale toxic fumes.  It is safe if they come up to a mirror and lick their reflection. :)

I know it is not going to cause a skin rash because of some strange preservative or artificial fragrance that is in it.

For my own personal health,  I am not concerned about breathing in any fumes while I'm cleaning.  In the winter, I'm not opening the windows to ventilate the air and freeze my kashunkas off.  Hours later, I'm not smelling bleach in my nose or feel a burning sensation in my lungs.  That's kinda nice! :)


2. Cost Benefits


Now I am the first to admit that numbers aren't my strong suit.  Not in a long shot!  But like cloth diapers, it is an upfront invest where the savings add up with each use.  If you haven't already purchased some of the major players in cleaning products (vinegar, baking soda, borax, etc), you'll have to put in a little bit of money up front. BUT these can often be found at dollar stores and you can purchase them in bulk for even more savings.

I am going to have to sit down and plug in these numbers and compare it to my seventh generation products I was using previously.  It appears that I am paying twice as much for store bought items than what I am making but it might even be more than double.  Stay tuned!

3.  Better for the Earth


In our culture of convenience, Mother Earth seems tends to be a low priority for reasons to change our personal choices.  However, I am sure we all want the Earth to be as nice (OR NICER!) for our kiddos than what it is currently.  Green cleaners don't put nasty chemicals in our water system and poison animals and plants.

When you make your own cleaners, you use less packaging and resources to use it.  It feels good using our containers and spray bottles over and over again.

4.  Personal Satisfaction


There is much personal satisfaction when I learn a new way to become self reliant.  I now know that I don't have to rely on big companies and spend their inflatable costs in order to clean up my house.

Making my own solution gives me more autonomy.  I get to choose what scent I want my room to smell like, can add more ingredients to cater to my specific needs (e.g. harder water, etc).  I don't have to wait until a product goes "on sale" to stock up or head to the store when I'm desperately needing to run my dishwasher.  Yes, that has happened to me more than once!!



Much like cloth diapers, I know I am making a good choice for my entire family (and our wallet!).  It's another choice that seems as intimidating as rocket science, yet it's soooo simple to do.  Jump on the hippie band wagon (or not!) and join our series in green cleaning this month.

Peace,

Jen


Jen Starks, Owner
www.ecologicalbabies.com
ecologicalbabies@gmail.com
 574.275.1235

No comments: