Sunday, March 11, 2012

DIY- Dishwasher Detergent- That Works!

Ok folks!  I'm very pleased to share that we've had much success with the homemade dishwasher detergent I've made for us.  Honestly, I'm thrilled about this one because this is one product I never seem to keep track of until we were out.  Now, I can pull out my recipe (maybe even memorize it!) and just make a fresh batch at the convenience of my home.  (Note: Who said making your own cleaners are a hassle and inconvenient?!)

Again, this one just has 3 simple ingredients and some were used in our glass cleaner.

Players: 

Borax & Washing Soda- Equal Parts
White Distilled Vinegar- 1 Cup (optional)



Note: If you have water that is softened, this should work just fine.  This recipe (without the white distilled vinegar) did not work.  We have very hard water.  If your water runs on the hard side, adjust your washing soda and put in about a cup of water.  I actually doubled the washing soda.

Keep the dry mix in a container.


Directions:

1. Scoop out enough mix to fill the soap dispensing container in your dishwasher and lock it up
2. Then pour in some white distilled vinegar directly into the dishwasher (I actually don't do exact measurements but just pour about a cup from the bottle).

Here's a comparison of what my dishes looked like without the extra washing soda and vinegar.




I love that I can adjust the ingredients to make it work for the hardness of my water.  Many of my purchased detergents have left a film and I've been dissatisfied.  Now I have that autonomy (and you can too!)

Peace,


Jen Starks, Owner
www.ecologicalbabies.com 
ecologicalbabies@gmail.com 
574.275.1235

No comments: