Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Healing From the Inside, Naturally-Part I

If you live in an area where holistic medical care is available and accessible, please take a moment to realize how fortunate you are to have it.  I moved from Tallahassee, FL (and area I had no idea would be as progressive as it is) to South Bend, IN.  I am so grateful that I was able to learn and grow in Tallahassee with holistically-minded physicians, chiropractors, acupuncturists, massage therapist, whole foods educators, midwives and more for the 6 years we lived there.  I now have more tools under my belt to use up here.

Before moving, I never understood why most of my family and friends consistently spoke of ear infections, ongoing colds, and rounds & rounds of antibiotics given to their family.  And don't get me started on all the anti-bacterial gel (that's another post!).  In our family, we rarely were sick enough to really need antibiotics.  Recently, I finally went through our medicine cabinet to discard old prescriptions.  I found an antibiotic that was about 2 years old from my son (who's about to turn 3).

This fall & early winter, we have been hit by cold after cold.  It has been very discouraging and honestly, it makes me question whether it is better to be pregnant in the cold vs. warm seasons.  My 2 other pregnancies were mostly summer bound.  I shouldn't be surprised by these colds though.  Our kids have been given such consistent rounds of sugary foods whether it is at my daughter's "snack time" at school", family members, strangers, music teachers, church, or our holiday festivities.  Thanksgiving really kicked it off and now I am realizing the consequences of all this.  I never would have put sugar and compromised immune system together if I always lived in this area.

From all the guidance I've received in Tallahassee, I realize my solutions aren't in seeking out the aisles in Walgreens or our "Wellness Center" Clinic.  These are synthetic solutions that will not improve "wellness" but rather relieve symptoms in the instant fashion we have all become accustomed to in our country.

My friends, the solution is to seek healing through other forms.  If you are already sick, then comfort will take a bit more effort on your part when you come from a holistic angle.  But the comfort you receive will actually heal you and promote future wellness.  Then once you get back on your feet, you can look forward to rarely getting sick while others around you are spending time in their doctors' office and coming out with an antibiotics prescription.

My next post is to share with you the wisdom I have found in finding wellness and great health.  Right now, my poor family is working toward that goal again.  And I'm thankful I feel confident that the rest of this "cold season" won't be something to fear but rather to look forward to. :)

For our health,

Jen



Jen Starks, Owner
www.ecologicalbabies.com
ecologicalbabies@gmail.com 
574.275.1235

No comments: