Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Finding Light in Darkness-Memorial

These days, my pregnancy hormones are controlling my mood.  It is quite unpredictable what is going to make me either cry, become offended or angry, or simply beam in delight.  But ever since Friday, I can't stop thinking about what happened at that elementary school in Connecticut.  I'm sure it's been on your mind a lot too.

My oldest daughter is 5 and she is in a pre-k program in an elementary school.  It has been a joy to watch her so excited for school as she runs away from my car with her giant backpack on her back.  But behind that joy has entered a darkness that crept in last Friday.  All this time, I have been trusting that my daughter will be safe from harm.  Pulling away from the school this week has been a challenge.  Without thinking about it too much, I get teared up imagining what it must be like for all those parents of the 6 and 7 year olds.  One of the victim's parents described their daughter to the media and it sounded identical to my daughter.  When they dropped their precious child off at school that morning, they probably did their normal "Have a good day at school, sweetie."  Like me, they might have switched over their kid's cd (Goodbye "Dora's Fiesta"!) to some adult radio and breathed a sigh enjoying the first quiet moments.

My kiddos (and myself too) have been sick since Friday.  Our nights have been filled with coughing and playing musical beds.  I have felt so beaten down.  But this time, I have been sticking around a little longer for snuggles and kisses.  Despite all the tragedy, this event has truly shown how love really does come out in a magnitude force.  Whether we give our own kids a little more love, send out prayers for the families who lost their loved ones, or have actually sent donations or notes directly to those affected, there is love all surrounding the event.  It is my hope that even more positives may come out of this event (i.e. better gun policies, safety laws, etc) and that the families know that the whole world is grieving over this event along with them.

In solidarity,

Jen Starks, Owner
www.ecologicalbabies.com 
ecologicalbabies@gmail.com
 574.275.1235

No comments: