Top 10 "Ecological" Ways to Beat the Summer Heat:
1. Drink loads of water. Add mint, lemon, or cucumbers for extra cooling.
2. My go-to solution for most things: Green Smoothies-breakfast, lunch, dinner. Add coconut water! We also freeze our green smoothies and they make delicious popsicles. I have a great recipe posted here.
3. Skip the oven. Use either a crockpot or your grill.
4. Eat more fresh fruit and veggies, especially watermelon.
5. Carry a spray bottle around with you. Better yet, give your kids one too and they can keep themselves cool while having fun! I'm not usually an advocate to go out and purchase a lot of baby accessories but this fan would be a great addition to your stroller or carseat: http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536614&cmSource=Search
6. Skip the blow dryer. Sure your hair might not be as nice as you want it but who wants to sweat right after showering? And wet hair = cooler body!
7. In the evening when the temperature breaks, blow warm air out of the house. Then cool it down with your A/C.
8. Skip using the drying cycle on your dishwasher. Instead, open up the door and let them air dry. Same with your clothes. Use that clothesline for clothes and your diapers!
9. Wear loose thin clothing made out of natural fibers. Letting sweat evaporate off your skin helps keep you cool. Better yet, wear less clothing (especially at home!). Keep your baby in nothing but their cute cloth diaper!
10. Visit your public pools and local library!
Jen Starks, Owner