Saturday, July 7, 2012

Farm Tales-A Twiny Morning with Tomaters!

Oh my back!  This morning was both hot and tiresome as we focused all our energy on supporting our tomato plants that are growing like crazy.   Last time I was here, the tomatoes were small and we spent most of the time taking out the weeds that were encroaching upon their growing space.  Now look at them!

We did about 6 rows of tying twine alongside the tomatoes and then around the bamboo steaks.  When I start a home garden again, I'm definitely going to be using this approach.  It works for both determinate and indeterminate tomato plants with very little invasion.

Do you notice the rows of twine for each time we go in to support the tomatoes? I did the top row.  I spent about 2 hours bent over doing this and am now paying for it.  Note to self: Yoga poses I must do for the next couple days would be cat/cow pose, child's pose, bow pose, half moon, plow pose, neck rolls, and some spinal twists!


After I finished twining, I helped put cages around some of the other varieties of tomatoes. These were for the shorter, bushier heirloom varieties to keep them off the ground.  It was actually a bit scary, as we had to cut the cages and then form them around the tomatoes with these sharp edges on the outsides.  A few people, me included, had a few gashes midst our dirty hands and arms.




I am always amazed by how quickly the veggies change from 2 weeks of being gone from the farm. This week, I was struck by the eggplants soon to be ready for harvest.  They were just tiny little plants we weeded around 2 weeks ago.  Now look at them!



I also had the privelege of harvesting the radishes.  It's a lot of fun, if you are into digging your fingers into the ground (as I am!). Can you tell how dry it has been???



Again, I felt like my CSA basket was like a Christmas stocking and Theri from the farm was Santa (Ms. Claus rather!).  In our overflowing basket this week were: carrots, cauliflower, radishes, pole beans, dinosaur kale, a ginormous amount of mixed baby greens,  kohlrabi, cucumbers, basil, onions, zucchini, summer squash, and a handful of raspberries.

My next post will be about what I've been doing with all this great produce!  I'll even include a couple great recipes to share.

With dirt still under her fingernails,

Jen Starks, Owner
www.ecologicalbabies.com
ecologicalbabies@gmail.com
574.275.1235

No comments: