Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Ode to My Mom on Valentine's Day

 I know it seems a bit unusual to hear that Valentine's Day makes me think of my mom and not of previous "loves" or how sweet my husband has been over the past 8 years.  But year after year, I particularly think of her on this day.  My mom died 8 years ago and the memories that come to me often surprise me.

Today, I am reminded how special and loved she used to make me feel.  She was a primary-level teacher and make our home festive on holidays much like her classroom.  We had decorations and a little surprise gift in the morning when we woke up.  I remember getting Valentine's Day socks, a new dress, or a nice pair of shoes.

It's days like this that I like to keep her legacy alive, so my children know her story.  I'd trade a lot for the chance to have my mom know my kids.  Sigh.




Anyhow, in honor of my mom today, I'm wearing a couple necklaces that she wore.  One is a diamond heart my dad gave her one Valentine's Day.  The other is the necklace she wore everyday with her initial "C" for Christine.  I believe it was a gift from her mother, Rita, when she was a young girl.



And in her festive spirit, I made some blueberry pancakes cut out in heart shapes.  Nothing fancy but just adding a little more fun and loving memories to our family.



I love you, Mom!


Jen




Jen Starks, Owner www.ecologicalbabies.com ecologicalbabies@gmail.com 574.275.1235

No comments: