Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Discovering Idleness

Me at the Farmers Market

If you speak to someone who knows me well, they might tell you that I don't stay still very often.  It's true.  I have the tendency to make daily lists, stay out of the house, and have more than one thing going on at once.  In general, it works well for me but lately it has been getting the best of me.  It has especially been tough with me being in my first trimester and just not being able to do as much as I typically would be doing (see our news here).




Well, this weekend I was given a terrific gift.  Actually, it was a multitude of gifts in which I owe some thank you cards to some people (can you tell that I just added that to a list?!).  I was able to travel to Denver for the weekend...alone.  My Dad and Step-mom gifted me with a free airline ticket within the continental US, my husband agreed to take on the kids for the weekend, my in-laws then took on my husband and kids, and my good friend Bethany let me stay at her house in Denver.  This trip wouldn't have been what it was without all their efforts and made for a budget-friendly weekend.  :)

My goal was to make it a journey where I was being present in the moment, savoring the peace and quiet, reading and journaling, and not putting any expectations on what I "should" be "doing".

I love Denver, the people and the culture.  I love how normal being outside, being active, being healthy, and friendly the atmosphere is.  There is a yoga studio, bike shop, cafe, or health foods store every few blocks.  Bike lanes are common with tons of trails and routes throughout the city.  I definitely overdid it but I probably biked around 50 miles on Saturday.  They have this fantastic program where you can rent a bike at these bike stations all around the city.  It cost me $8 for 24 hours.  I could get around everywhere and enjoy the beautiful view of the mountains and all the many city parks at my own pace.

Denver B Cycle

I went to a great yoga and meditation class, the farmer's market, botanical gardens, spent some time (and money) at a spa, and ate at an extraordinary farm to restaurant.  At each destination, I slowed down.  I found a few spots and just sat.  Here are some pictures I took:
Denver Botanical Gardens
Sugar Creek
Woodhouse Day Spa

I watched the wind blow through the leaves, the relationships between the people who walked by, contemplated about my life and my vision for our family's future. Here I sat and just admired the beauty of this hibiscus and watched a busy bee fly from flower to flower.  Can you see it?

Denver Botanical Gardens
On the bus rides and the flights, I savored the quiet of looking out the window, reading about Mother Theresa, and conversing with the occasional visitor who sat next to me.

I was spiritually filled. We could all use sometime to let go of our expectations of what we think we "should" be doing.  I realized how much I am missing out on my kids on a daily basis, even though I am home with them full-time.  I am looking closer at the little things they do, our conversations, discovering our special moments by looking directly into their spirit-filled eyes.

In peace,

Jen Starks, Owner
www.ecologicalbabies.com
ecologicalbabies@gmail.com
574.275.1235

No comments: