Sunday, January 29, 2012

Mind Your Children's Manners



Meet my spirited 4 year old, Rita Clare!  For a long time, I didn't care too much whether my baby was loud in restaurants or throwing food on the floor.  I mean they are just babies, right?  For a while, I'd even bring my daughter to higher end restaurants, almost using it as a way to show that parents with young children deserve the opportunity to eat in these types of establishments too.

I have been given some stern comments in the past.  And unfortunately, I'm a lot more anxious about my children's behavior in public, especially in places like church and nicer restaurants.  Today though, I was given a gift from a senior lady who sat behind us during a dedication ceremony.  My daughter seemed to be showing her wild colors and I was a bit concerned about the distraction.  But this elderly lady came up to us after and said how impressed she was with our kids' behavior.  Honestly, I was shocked.  But I really did appreciate hearing positive feedback.  I do care.  I do care about how I'm perceived, as this has been ingrained in me since I was a little girl.  I don't go overboard to please other people at my own expense and will comment back to rude and judgmental people if they say something to me (as respectful as I can).  So, if you compliment me, I appreciate it.  We can all use a little support these days, don't you think?


Jen Starks, Owner www.ecologicalbabies.com ecologicalbabies@gmail.com 574.275.1235

No comments: