Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Simplify Your Diaper Bag

Holy smokes!  I just cleaned out my diaper bag (can't tell you that last time that happened) and it's no wonder I can't find anything in there...ever.  My diaper bag has become a dumping ground for random items I need during each trip, yet I don't make the effort to clean it out right after a trip.

I found single socks, random toys, 3 chapsticks, spare clothes, spilled Easter candy, 3 pairs of sunglasses, extra pair of shoes, sunscreen, receipts and way too much more to list individually.  Recently, I've thought that I need a  bigger diaper bag.  Not today!  Today, I completely cleaned out my bag (literally, as my diaper bag is going through a wash cycle right now!) and am going to attempt to be better at keeping it at bag. I really only need a few things in there for each outing. Instead of thinking that I'm saving time by keeping a bunch of things in the all the time, I want to lightly pack the bag each day (or the night before) and cater it to our plans for the day.  Not only will I be carrying a lighter load but I will actually be able to find what I'm looking for in there with ease.  I can't tell you how many times I didn't think I had an item in there that I wanted only to find it deep in the bottom of my bag buried under junk.

What's in YOUR diaper bag?

If you'd like to ditch the idea of a "diaper bag" all together, I have an alternative suggestion.  Pack a wet/dry bag for all your diapering needs.  In the dry part, put only the amount of diapers necessary, a onesie, & wipes.  Once the diaper has been soiled, you put it in your wet part of the bag.  Then all you need is a small purse for your belongings.  If you plan on only changing the diaper in the car, leave it there until you do the change.  It feels so freeing to only carry around a small purse these days.  Sometimes, I even stick my credit card, ID, and phone in my pocket and do errands.  It's wonderful!!!




Jen Starks, Owner www.ecologicalbabies.com ecologicalbabies@gmail.com 850.284.5887

4 comments:

Lauren said...

I have found that I sometimes way over pack my diaper bag. I'll pack 3-4 outfits "just in case" and never end up using them. Then when I want to put E in one of said outfits I can never find it! Is it part of being a first time mom that I way over pack? The other day I cleaned out my diaper bag and there were 4 outfits, 2 bottles of lotion, 2 bottles of sun screen, 3 chap sticks, and on and on!

jenniferbrooke said...

I love the pocket on the Maya. For most outings, I keep a small bag in the car for emergencies (aka, Mommy needs a clean shirt) but only take what I can easily fit in that pocket.

Anonymous said...

Lauren-I think the baby industry completely warps us into thinking we need at least 2 outfits a day for every day of the month to be prepared for the baby. When I was pregnant with my first, I kept worrying whether I had "enough" clothes for each size. There were some newborn outfits she never even wore because she had so many and grew out of them so quickly.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer-I love that feature of the Maya Wrap too! It's the perfect size for the few essentials.