Saturday, February 16, 2013

My Morning Routine

I have to admit, I am surprised by how good I am actually physically feeling for being at 30 weeks.  During my last 2 pregnancies, I was seeing a chiropractor regularly and waddling my way around at this point.  Even then, I felt very fortunate to feel as good as I did.  Never would I have imagined that I don't have these aches and stiffness throughout the day.  I can't say for sure but my instinct tells me that there are 2 reasons why I'm feeling this good.

First, I purchased a shoulder posture support brace that is basically like a racer-back bra without the bar part.  It can be worn under clothes or over the top.  I don't wear it everyday but on days when I'm around the house doing a lot of bending and cleaning or just on my feet a lot, I like to wear this.  It holds my shoulders back and allows me to breath better.  My chiropractor warned me not to wear it all the time or the  back muscles will relax and rely on its support.  But mostly, it has helped me maintain better posture as my belly grows and adds more of a strain on me.  Presently, I have only gone to the chiropractor twice in my pregnancy and not for pain but general maintenance.  The brace I have is shown below (I snagged it on sale around the holidays.):

http://www.gaiam.com/ShouldersBack-%238482%3B-Lite-Weight-Beige/08-0575,default,pd.html
Secondly, I believe my morning routine has been a tremendous contributor to my physical (and mental!) well-being.  For awhile, I have been setting my alarm clock about 15 minutes before my 3 year old's clock told him it was time to come out for the day ("Mommy, my light turned green!").  If my 5 year old daughter wakes up before then, it is no big deal because she can independently start getting ready for school.  Plus, my husband has been super generous and getting out of bed immediately.  During these 15 minutes, I start slowly stretching in bed.  Laying on my back, I start with a spinal twist, hip opener, hamstring stretch, and hip flexor stretch.  Then I would sit up on the side of my bed and do some side stretches, twists, arms stretches, spinal rolls (modified cat/cow pose), head and shoulder rolls.  Finally, I would stand up in front of our long dresser and go deeper into some stretches.  I'd open up my hips with exaggerated rolls (like I'm doing a hula hoop slow and really big), forward lunges to stretch my psoaz muscle, hamstrings, side bends, twist a bit, and then finish with a forward bend.
http://www.yogashelter.com/prenatal-yoga-at-yoga-shelter/

Taking this time to open my body and also wake up in this gradual manner has been a great way to start my day.  I kinda wish I would have started it before this pregnancy, as it would have helped me be more patient in the morning with my kids.  But now it has finally become routine.  I'm starting my day on my terms, even though it is such a short period of time.

What has been your morning routine?  Does it help to take time in the morning for yourself?  Have you noticed a difference in your day?

Peace,

Jen Starks, Owner
www.ecologicalbabies.com 
ecologicalbabies@gmail.com 
574.275.1235

No comments: